Iceborne Charge Blade Builds (Console)

Iceborne Charge Blade Builds (Console)

Looking for Pre-Iceborne High Rank builds, including deco-less builds to tackle Master Rank story? Click here or use the menu above.
Also, it goes without saying that this page will not avoid spoilers for monsters or any content.

Contents

Charge Blades worth crafting
Early Endgame Builds
Late Endgame Builds
Elemental Builds

Last Update

9/18/2019
Updated end game impact builds

Full Update History

Help Wanted!

Build suggestions are greatly appreciated, especially in the early stages of the expansion. Feel free to share your Master rank optimized builds, starter builds, or any builds in between. Please include weapon, augments, armor, charm, all decorations used, and the total skills and set bonuses granted by the build. Screenshots are optional but appreciated. Thank you!

Use the comment section at the bottom of the page, or if you prefer, contact me via Twitter or Discord.

Charge Blades worth crafting

Saber’s Maw II (Great Jagras tree)
Notes:
For progression, can be crafted at the start of MR3. Later, you can make it into Glavenus CB.

Chrome Fortress III (Metal tree)
Notes:
Great all-purpose CB until it is replaced by Gold Rathian CB. Consider running Razor Sharp Charm.

The Melting Grasp (Acidic Glavenus tree)
Notes:
High raw and neutral affinity, outclasses Diablos and Zorah. Bad sharpness. Consider running Handicraft 5 and Protective Polish.

Inescapable Karma (Shara Ishvalda tree)
Notes:
Raw between Metal and Acid Glavenus, OK sharpness. Consider running Handicraft and/or Razor sharp Charm.

Luna Eostra (Gold Rathian tree)
Notes:
This is probably the best impact charge blade. Tied for highest raw, positive affinity, great sharpness, great slots. Not elementless but has very high poison.

Ruinous Devastation (Ruiner Nergigante tree)
Notes:
Likely worse than Gold Rathian CB but outclasses other impact charge blades. The low dragon element is basically useless and the extra sharpness is paid for by the lack of level 2 slots compared to Gold Rathian CB.

Despot’s Thundergale (Zinogre tree)
Best Thunder elemental CB

Deep Schnegel II (Beotodus tree)
Best Ice elemental CB

Glavenus Bardred (Glavenus tree)
Best Fire elemental CB? Need to check silver rathalos

Deep Terroir II (Jyuratodus tree)
Best Water elemental CB

Deathaxe Vaal Aspida (Vaal Hazak tree)
Best Dragon elemental CB

Armor to Consider

Because it’s impossible to list builds for every set of circumstances, especially now in Iceborne with level 4 decorations, this page will first show a list of slot-efficient armor you should consider in your build. In the next section, example builds using these armor pieces will be shown.

Head

Barroth B +
Guard 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Rathalos B +
Attack Boost 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Brachydios Helm a +
Agitator 2, Capacity Boost 1
Slots: Level 3 (1)
Notes: Use this if you don’t have a Magazine decoration

Zorah Headgear a +
Artillery 2, Flinch Free 1
Slots: Level 2 (2)

Garuga Helm B +
Critical Eye 1, Resentment 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (1)

Fulgur Helm B +
Weakness Exploit 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (1)

Kaiser Crown B +
Critical Eye 2, Latent Power 1
Slots: Level 4 (1)

Chest

Damascus Mail B +
Focus 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (1), Level 1 (1)

Kirin Jacket a +
Critical Eye 3, Divine Blessing 1
Slots: Level 3 (1), Level 2 (1)
Notes: On the off chance you are using a Focusless build

Gloves

Damascus Vambraces B +
Handicraft 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Guild Palace B + (Arena)
Offensive Guard 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Teostra Vambraces B +
Weakness Expoit 1, Heat Guard 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 3 (1)

Shara Ishvalda Braces B +
Critical Boost 2
Slots: Level 4 (1)

Ruiner Nergigante B +
Agitator 2, Attack Boost 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Rex Roar Braces B + (Brute Tigrex)
Attack Boost 2, Health Boost 2
Slots: Level 4 (1)
Notes: Compared to Ruiner Nergigante, this trades 2 Agitator for 2 Health Boost

Rex Roar Braces a + (Brute Tigrex)
Attack Boost 2, Health Boost 3
Slots: Level 3 (1)

Kirin Longarms B +
Thunder Attack 3
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (2)

Waist

Damascus Coil B +
Focus 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 3 (1), Level 1 (1)

Damascus Coil a +
Focus 1, Guard 1
Slots: Level 3 (1), Level 2 (1)

Ruiner Nergigante B +
Attack Boost 2, Earplugs 1
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Odogaron Coil B +
Critical Eye 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (1)

Kushala Cocoon B +
Ice Attack 3
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 1 (1)

Shara Ishvalda Coil B +
Health Boost 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 3 (1)

Legs

Garuga Greaves B +
Critical Eye 2
Slots: Level 4 (1), Level 2 (2)

Brachydios Greaves a +
Agitator 2, Artillery 2
Slots: Level 2 (1)

Brachydios Greaves B +
Agitator 2, Artillery 1
Slots: Level 4 (1)

Rex Roar Greaves B + (Brute Tigrex)
Agitator 2, Weakness Exploit 1
Slots: Level 4 (1)

Rex Roar Greaves a + (Brute Tigrex)
Agitator 3, Weakness Exploit 1
Slots: Level 1 (1)

Poverty Builds

No decorations? Get ready to use these for a while!

#Razor Sharp

#Handicraft

Early Endgame Builds

Early Endgame: from completion of story to MR70.

#Critical

#Zoga

#Zoda

Late Endgame Builds

Late Endgame: MR70 and above.

#Guard 3 Master’s Touch

#Guard 5 Master’s Touch

Flexible decorations: Expert+

#Guard 5 Master’s Touch #2

Flexible decorations: KO/Vitality, Vitality, Charger (if you have a level 4 Charger deco)

Elemental Builds

Coming soon!

Advertisements

256 thoughts on “Iceborne Charge Blade Builds (Console)

1. CBenthusiast says:

I would love to see this updated to include drachen armor options. The lunastra arms can be straight replaced with the drachen ones for extra affinity at the cost of wide range.

2. Kero says:

You’re a true hero. This is such an excellent guide/compilation. You saved me so much time trying to learn some of the intricacies I would’ve had to find one by 1 and the builds look really solid.
    Thank you so much!

I would love to see more content like this.

3. Anonymous says:

Ive been using dragonking eyepatch, nerg vambraces and coil, dodo greaves b, dober chest, and artillery charm (2 cause I havent gotten Teo gem) and I have no decos. Dont remember alpha and betas for all. Not home.

4. Anonymous says:

Amazing work. Thank you. One thing, can you post by each build the date it was last updated so we know which builds are up to date?

5. d schnitzel says:

Hands down best build guide on the net!
    Very detailed and explained thought process. the layout on the page makes it very easy on the eyes and easy to follow. The transition from poverty to end game is what everyone is looking for in a guide and you nailed it. You brought so much information here that it was also easy to see why you were including each piece and we were able to theory craft our own builds from this information. showed all my friends and they agree. Thanks for the help, and i know my friends and the people in discord are eagerly awaiting for build walk-through like this from other classes if you get an opportunity !! Again thanks a bunch

Liked by 2 people

6. Gabe says:

Do you have thoughts on good survivability builds on PC?

I’ve played the game a a decent bit by now, but I still do get surprised a lot and carting ruins a run for me way more than pumping out neat damage uplifts it. I wouldn’t mind a training wheels suggestion that balances damage and is still able to take a hit from the big hitters like Diabolos and Nergigante.

7. Testodemos says:

ive just finished my All-purpose Flexible Charm (No special equipment) build (btw the [PC] after it isnt visible ^^) and im trying to get my 2nd augment now.

wouldnt affinity be better because then we have positive affinity (with max might) when we dont hit a weakspot and remove the negative crits all together? i know the phials dont benefit from that but i read that they are “only” 30-40% of your damage.

im still learning but i feel i dont always hit a weakspot when charging the blade or using my SAED, especially in groups.

thanks for all your work!!!

Liked by 1 person

• stripedypaper says:

thanks for your message! I think attack augment is pretty much always better than affinity. When comparing a build with attack augment to a build with affinity augment, the attack augment build will do roughly 0.3% less physical damage (on average) and 2% more phial damage. This is favorable for attack augment unless phial damage is less than 15% or so of your total damage.

8. pipin745 says:

Love the guide and have it pretty much permanently pulled up. Had a question about some of the armor you have in your builds though. In some pieces of armor you have listed, Kaiser v in the Master’s Touch build for instance, what is the v variant and how does it have an extra lvl 2 gem slot? I understand this guide was probably made with console in mind, but I haven’t been able to find any info about a Kaiser v piece of armor or how to add a gem slot to a piece of armor.

Thanks for your work!

Liked by 1 person

9. boopitysnoop says:

Hey I’ve been looking around on the internet for some CB builds so I’ve been wondering something. How come most CB builds don’t have slugger? I thought CB would be used for the KO utility as well. Or does damage make KO irrelevant/the weapon can KO comfortable anyway?

• stripedypaper says:

you can use KO charm for slugger 3 on the flexible charm builds, it’s useful only for some monsters because AED/SAED already deal lot of stun damage and in most fights it won’t change the number of stuns you get before killing the monster. I use KO charm for Uragaan and Lunastra (not yet on pc).

10. Anonymous says:

This is amazing and really helpful!

One thing though… in the absolute poverty build, wouldn’t it be better to use nergigante coil and dober armor for attack boost instead of focus? I understand the importance of Focus, but isn’t it lowering down the damage a lot? This way would there would be Attack Boost 5 instead of Focus 3.

11. Anonymous says:

Could you try and make a dragon one without any special equipment since PC still hasn’t got that covered yet? Also good work with the elemental ones. (even though attack jewels are quite rare)

• Anonymous says:

I’m sorry, I’m blind. I saw your crossed it out in your update and a search for [PC] came up short, but I see the tags on the right side. Thanks!

12. Anonymous says:

Hello,
    I’m kinda stuck on how to build. I have several of the decorations, but have no Ironwall or Artillery gems. The relevant gems I have are listed as follows:

Elementless x 1
    Sharp x 1
    Attack x 1
    Magazine x 1
    Tenderizer x 2

I’m trying my best to fit some Focus, Attack, Atrillery, Weakness Exploit, along with Non-Elemental boost, Protective Polish, and Capacity, but I’m having a hard time finding a way to squeeze it all on.

Does anyone have any advice?

13. nerbs says:

Dude this is awesome, but would you have a build for Dragon elemental CB without Dante gear? I’m on PC version so hasn’t come yet, and not in japan to get USJ 😦

14. Kevin ADB says:

This is greate.
    I’d like to suggest 2 of mine (based on Artillery 3, Capacity Boost, Focus 3, Guard 1, Non-elemental Boost):
    1. Handicrasft 5, Protective Polish, Weakness Exploit 2, Attack Boost 4.
    1. Handicrasft 5, Protective Polish, Weakness Exploit 2, Speed Sharpening 3.

15. Anonymous says:

Good day! Can you add build using Taroth Strongarm “Thunder” and “Ice”? Or the current thunder and ice build on this list is the best.

• stripedypaper says:

I think the taroth thunder and ice CBs are not very good, because they have hidden element and also use impact phials instead of elemental. Meaning you need free element 3 AND elemental attack along with all the usual stuff, AND artillery if you want your SAED damage to be increased. It’s just pretty ugly.

16. Anonymous says:

Quick question:

Does “Attack Augment is better than Affinity Augment” only apply on Diablos Tyrannis II? Also, is it a good idea to do x2 Attack Augment + Health Augment on Thunder Anti-Kulve and Ice (PC Builds)

17. Chronus says:

First of all thanks for this guide.

I remember there was a comfy hunting build or something that had 1 Taroth armour and a lunastra weapon? With lunastra coming to PC and Taroth having been around could I get a link? Of course knowing my luck it had some behemoth gear or something.

18. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the tips. Good work!! Sadlly after 600 hours playing no magazine, ironwall jewel either not mention artillery. So bad! 😦
    I wonder if they are urban leyends….

• Anonymous says:

I solved snipping decorations. Magazine came after a couple of days, however after 300 hours of “fair play”, in which I dropped/melded only garbage stuff…

19. Sol says:

Dante build for PC is not optimised. There is extra level of weakness exploit. You can drop 2 level of crit eye, 1 level of weakness exploit and gain 1 level of maximum might. Dragon King a, Damascus B, Diablos Nero B, Nergigante B, Nergigante B, Mighty Charm.
    Decos, Att x 2, Arty x 3, Tender x 1, Ironwall x 1, Critical x 2, Magazine x 1

20. Anonymous says:

Give me your thoughts on ff1 for CB in multiplayer. Seems to me the only attack with superarmour in sword mode is charged double slash and I often get flinched by teammates while doing other attacks.

• stripedypaper says:

as far as I know, in sword mode charge blade has super armor on double slash, load phials, and condensed elemental slash. I personally don’t use flinch free, and when I go for SAED from shield thrust I try to start it from further away so it doesn’t get interrupted. Or instead you can do morph to axe and then SAED to be flinch resistant.

21. truong says:

i think phys diablo CB on console have something wrong i cant fit crit eye 7 without pull out guard 1 can you check it again and no need arilery ?